Saturday, November 24, 2007

Trip in a Nutshell

The past two weeks in the Pacific Northwest were like a time travel adventure backwards. I will only cover a few high-lights here, some I think my Dad and Mom will enjoy. I intend to upload an album of pictures later today and will give a link to them when I have them ready.

The first day I arrived in Portland, one of my first adventures was to go to Milwaukie Oregon to see the house where my family lived. This was home for us from about 1956 until 1961. I was in second grade when we moved here, and Mike must have been about 2. Although I had been back here about 10 years ago, I didn't have a camera then, so took no pictures. The amazing thing to me is how small a place looks compared to one's memories. Although most of the neighbor homes are the same, the streets and houses seem much closer together than I remember as a child walking though the neighborhood on my way home from school, etc.




A second memory jolt was the week before on Orcas Island. We camped here when I was a teenager, probably about 13 or 14 years old. I remember my dad renting a boat to go out on this lake to fish, while Mike and I played on the beach, and mom sat in the car. From the parking lot, she could see all of us. An afternoon storm blew up, and mom got sea-sick from seeing the waves on the lake!

No comments: