Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Footies


I went to the Podiatrist on Monday. The appointment was for casting for orthotics. Somehow, in my mind, orthotics should be a last resort, only one step up from surgery. Not to mention that Tricare won't pay for them. Anyhow, I told him I didn't think I was ready to have them made and after little hesitation, he said, "Would you like to try PT?" Now that was something SIL Sally and I have thought should have been part of the game plan all along. So, tomorrow, at 2:30 pm, I go for a evaluation for treatment. The podiatrist, for the first time, and I discussed shoes and he also gave me the name of a man who will fit me when I am ready to get new walking shoes. I spoke to the PT people, and they advised waiting on the shoes, until after evaluation and PT. That seemed to make sense to me, as how can the shoe guy fit you for a shoe and make gait or pronation changes if your foot might strengthen and or change as a result of PT?

So, maybe we are on the path to better feeties. We'll see.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Great news! I don't quite understand your view on orthotics though. (not knowing your mindset on it, of course) The premade variety can often be a quick and easy fix for a number of problems, and even Anne has had those---got them in OH. I think she still wears them in her tennis shoes, but her "shoes of choice" these days are her boots, which have gel insoles and comfy orthotics--she won't wear anything else to work. The custom variety are expensive (not totally sure why--a racket?) but should be extremely comfy!